Struggling with a slow performance computer? Find out why your PC is slow and check these reasons why your computer might be running slow. A few ways to speed it up without getting to a computer technician and not spending a single dime.
Computers slow down for some reasons. Working with a slow computer can be so frustrating, especially keeping with deadlines. The slow performance of computers will lead to a decrease in productivity.
Why is Your Computer Slow?
If your PC is running slow, then when it was new. It is because of the many reasons why your computer might be running slow. And one reason is an old device, but getting a new one is more frustrating than fixing the lag’s reasons. Reasons and tips that you may fix your PC’s performance.
Here are the 10 Reasons why your computer is running slow:
- Startup Programs
- Not Enough Space (Random Access Memory)
- Internet Speed
- Running out of disk drive space.
- Fragmented hard drive
- Too many background programs
- Outdated Windows or Driver Updates
- Malware or viruses
- Temporary Files
- Special effects and visual features
How To Make Your Computer Works Faster
The first thing to do when your computer is running slow is by restarting it. And the benefits of restarting your computer:
Flushes Memory (RAM) — modifies and handles short-term tasks and data. Restart your computer to flush out all the unimportant and temporary data.
Fixes Internet Connection — restarting your computer usually fixes the slow internet connection. Restarting your computer resets or refreshes the running programs.
Speeds Up Performance — rebooting the computer refreshes from the piled and running temp files.
Clearing Cache — cache is a temporary copy of each web page you visit and store in your hard disk space. Too big of a cache can slow your browser to crawl. Clearing the cache refreshes loads of your web browser to load faster.
Malware Updates — running your un-updated malware software might slow or freezes your computer. Updating your anti-virus software will take no strain on your computer speed.
The 10 Common Reasons Your Computer is Slowing Down — and the simple measures you can take to get it fixed!
1. Too Many Startup Programs — Opening the computer applications will dodge on Startup Menu. This can cause slow performance because reading the data takes time as many programs pop at a time. This may reduce your performance when many apps running in the background.
Fix them by deleting those unused or unnecessary programs.
2. Not Enough (RAM) Memory — RAM is the main component that decides the computer’s speed. If your computer doesn’t have enough space, it won’t give the optimal speed your computer needs to run programs.
Fix it by increasing the size of your Random Access Memory (RAM). At least 6GB of RAM if you have programs that need a large amount of information. The reason for slow-speed performance where the memory resorts to using the swap file.
3. Internet Speed — one of the reasons why your computer is running slow. Your connectivity on your router with cable extension or using Wi-Fi. Congested connections reduce network quality. The typical effects include blocking connections and delay.
Fix it by limit devices that connect to your Wi-Fi. Turn them off if not needed. Or use a cable connection to your PC or adding your internet speed plan.
4. Running out of disk drive space — the unavailability of enough free space makes your PC slower. And with HDD, it uses flash memory to store data that the driver mechanism works hard to find the exact data.
Fix it by using (Solid State Drives) SSD hard drives are way faster than the HDDs. And deleting those unused files will give you more free space.
5. Fragmented hard drive — makes your computer works harder and perform slower. If there’s no enough space in a hard drive, the driver splits the files to fit into many parts. And search for the available space to store files.
Fix it by defragmentation to improve load time to locate the right data. Or adding more RAM not to draw into the swap file.
6. Too many background programs — many running programs in your computer’s background strain your system memory. And would take time to read and locate the data.
Fix it by finding what programs are running and closing them is all it takes to fix this problem. For applications that automatically launched when the computer starts, uninstall the unused ones.
7. Outdated Windows or Driver updates — reading programs may take a delay to read from outdated windows. Or it will cause the program to stop running. There are applications installed on your computer that needs the updated Windows.
Fix it by simply updating the windows and drivers.
8. Malware or Viruses — malicious programs that can cause harm to your computer. Sources are from links, advertisements, or software downloads. It does now only make your computer slow but can also cause permanent damage to your system.
Fix it by adding anti-virus software to your computer with frequent scans of your PC.
9. Temporary Files — these files can eat up more space on hard drives or memory (RAM) on your computer.
Fix it by deleting these files. There’s no risk in deleting them.
10. Special effects and visual features — these will take up the processing power. And use more RAM to take constant effects.
Fix it by adjusting the performance that scales to your computer specs. Noticed that your computer is starting to slow down? Use the tips above to check potential causes before it’s too late. It’s recommended to have your computer checked out by a professional in case of a malware issue before it becomes an even bigger issue. Malware may destroy not only files but also your hardware performance.